What if all plastics were recycled? Today, less than 10% are. The other 90% are either mismanaged and buried in landfills, sent to incinerators, or end up in our environment as litter polluting our land, rivers, and oceans. But imagine if all plastics could be recycled. At Alterra, we convert plastics back into their original building blocks to produce new plastics and other valuable products. We’re disrupting the traditional thinking that used plastic should be discarded and helping people see that plastics are valuable and designed to become new again. That’s Alterra…solving plastic pollution through infinitely renewed plastics.
We are searching for a passionate person to join the Alterra mission as a QC Chemist. The role will be fulltime and physically located in Akron, OH.
- Independently operate the bench-scale pyrolysis reactor to evaluate new feedstock streams and validate current streams
- Qualification of inbound feedstock streams per the in-house specifications
- Interface with external laboratories regarding sample testing and results
- Support the engineering and operations teams with various capital expenditure projects
- Execute experiments to support Operations, Licensing, and Technology
- Develop a strong understanding of feedstock properties as it relates to oil product quality
- Maintain and optimize laboratory operations and document control system
- Other duties as assigned
- Associates in chemistry or science-related field with 1-2 years lab experience or equivalent
- Ability to multitask and be adaptable in a fast-paced environment
- Effective communication and organizational skills
- High attention to detail and safety-focused
- Self-starter with strong problem-solving skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Demonstrates appropriate laboratory etiquette and safety practices
Required Physical and Environmental Demands:
- Communicate and move among all departments, including inside plant facility and outside in varying weather elements. Sitting/Standing with repeated motion and manual dexterity to operate machinery and/or power tools and office equipment. Adjust or move objects up to 50 pounds frequently, up to 100 pounds on occasion. Ascend or descend ladders on occasion.
- Candidates whose disabilities make them unable to meet these requirements will still be considered fully qualified if they can perform the essential functions of the job with reasonable accommodation.
- Safety sensitive role. Commitment to working safely and abiding by all safety requirements is essential.
Considered a Plus:
- Working knowledge of laboratory instrumentation (XRF, GC, IC, IR, TGA, DSC, etc.)
- Understanding of common analytical techniques and standard test methods
- Proficiency for inorganic, organic, and polymeric chemistry
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
Ability to commute/relocate: Akron, OH 44306 — Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Education: Associate in Chemistry or Science-Related Field
Experience: 1-2 years lab experience or equivalent
Work Location: In office
Alterra Energy is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, religion, or veteran status.
To submit your resume for the above position, please fill out the form below.