Job Opening:

Mechanical Engineer | January 2023

What if all plastics were recycled? Today, less than 10% are. The other 90% are either mismanaged and buried in landfills, sent to incinerators, or end up in our environment as litter polluting our land, rivers, and oceans. But imagine if all plastics could be recycled. At Alterra, we convert plastics back into their original building blocks to produce new plastics and other valuable products. We’re disrupting the traditional thinking that used plastic should be discarded and helping people see that plastics are valuable and designed to become new again. That’s Alterra…solving plastic pollution through infinitely renewed plastics.

We are searching for a passionate person to join the Alterra mission as an experienced Mechanical Engineer. We are looking for you to innovate our proprietary process and become an engineering and operations leader at our Akron, OH site as we transition it from a technology demonstration facility to the leading commercial provider of ISCC Plus pyrolysis oil for major petrochemical customers. The role will be fulltime and physically located in Akron, OH.


  • Lead and execute CapEx and OpEx mechanical engineering projects from idea generation through construction completion and document closeout
  • Rapidly learn the process technology through plant operations and mentorship from our team
  • Generate ideas for future technological improvements to exceed the evolving requirements for our customer base
  • Participate in and lead technical studies, P&ID reviews and HAZOP’s
  • Provide onsite construction, start up and commissioning technical and operational support
  • Provide process technical support to the business development team
  • Communicate effectively with the licensing team and project stakeholders, including the customer
  • Provide insight to management on the financial value associated with the optimization of product and byproduct streams
  • Improve the process technology through projects and innovation with a focus on reliability, process safety and yield
  • Develop, implement and manage a high-level OSHA PSM compliant Mechanical Integrity Program
  • Act as the site rotating equipment, fixed equipment and piping subject matter expert

Required Skills/Abilities:

  • Highly adaptable
  • Highly innovative and creative
  • Familiar with AutoCAD
  • Strong interpersonal and communication skills
  • A strong foundation of the fundamental requirements of design engineering and basic understanding of other relevant engineering fields

    Education and Experience:

    1. Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering
    2. 5-10 years of Mechanical Engineering Experience
    3. A basic understanding of industry standards, specifications, codes and regulations
    4. General knowledge of manufacturing plant operations and maintenance

    Alterra Energy is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, religion, or veteran status.



      To submit your resume for the above position, please fill out the form below.

      Click or drag files to this area to upload. You can upload up to 3 files.